Friday

SPANISH LESSONS VOL. 1


Spain is a country in southern Europe bordered by Portugal and France, the Mediterranean Sea on the east, and the Atlantic Ocean in parts of the west.  The meaning of its name comes from the Phoenician word "i-spn-ya" which means "I'll spin you". Word has it that Pete Burns of Dead or Alive summered there as a boy. Its prime exports are zyptel, spandex, and quality footwear, and football (soccer) is its national sport.  62% of religious followers in Spain are Catholic but the other 38% is divided equally between neo-Druids and Wiccans.

                                                               Above: Druids

There are over 500 million Spanish speakers in the world. Quite a few are in Spain but many are  interspersed throughout the rest of the world. This means you might encounter a situation that could be enhanced by your ability to speak this language, and so in our efforts to broaden the cultural horizons of our readers, we begin Volume One in the Lost At Sea Magazine Language Learning Series (LASLLS),  and the focus today will be on Spanish.

Let us begin with a short phrase: "Donde se han ido los limpiabotas?"

It looks difficult, but you can learn it if you take your time and apply yourself.

Try saying it out loud. It's a question, so don't forget the inflection at the end.

"Donde se han ido los limpiabotas?".  Pronounce it correctly if you can.  Good!


Ok, now let's break it down word by word:

A. donde - "where"

B. se -   in this particular sentence means "they"

C. han - "have"

D. ido -  it means "gone"

E. los - "the"

F. limpiabotas - "bootboys"


Now say it again.

 "Donde se han ido los limpiabotas?"      CLICK ON IT YO

Well done - now you're ready to go out and use it in a real life situation!




Thankyou for your support.

- KM

4 comments:

  1. I think that his panic was her peas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I learnt English with "Los Ramones", so I guess you can learn Spanish just looking at bands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a valuable service you are offering to humanity, sir. I see a Nobel prize in your future.

    ReplyDelete